Friday, December 28, 2012

The End of the Second Year

It's been so long for this blog I decided to not try to upload all the photos within the last year - but instead start from now, and be more regular again about posting.
As of November 14th I have been here in Corner Brook for two years. It has been quite a year, too. By August it was clear that there were some agitators, as there are in every congregation, but the agitation resulted in an episode of bullying which was neither helpful nor called for - as it involved questioning my honesty about time off. I almost gave notice then. However, Norio was here, and after calming down and taking about a month to just think about the best way to deal with the issue, I decided to stay on. Since then, the feel of the church has changed, for the better, and it seems as if some kind of log-jam has moved. Norio thinks I should stay at least a full year longer. It will depend, of course, on how things go in the next six months....

In August one of my two colleagues took a call in Grand Falls-Windsor. I was sorry to see her leave as she was a lifeline sometimes, but she did need a congregation which would appreciate the many talents she has. I now travel to Grand Falls, which is 250 km away, every so often sometimes for meetings, and sometimes just for a break. My other colleague was asked to leave the congregation. The result was that I became the only active United Church minister in Corner Brook. The hospital chaplain has had to resign due to health issues, so we are left now with one full-time clergy (me), one part-time intentional interim, and one retired minister. Two of my colleagues - one in Stephenville, 45 minutes away - and one in Port-au-Basques - two and a half hours away - are taking time off, and I am backup.

I remember many years ago the United Church did a survey about people in isolated ministry - and most of the cases they cited were not what I considered isolated. Plus, there are different kinds of isolation. While there are other clergy here, I am essentially the only United Church face in the ministerial. It's a feeling of being very exposed....and in many senses a psychological isolation.

Well, of course there have been lots of good things....in April Linnea Good came to Humber, and did an evening concert and a Sunday service. Our spring meeting was held in Bay Roberts, almost to the East District border - seven hours across the province, and it was just a fantastic time. As it was also a conference meeting, we were lucky to have Linnea providing music. Cruise ships abounded in September and October, including my favourite ship, Brilliance of the Seas. Here is a shot from Benoit's Cove, as Brilliance departed. Photo is courtesy of a friend.

Our fall District meeting in October, was held in Twillingate; I travelled first to Fogo Island to visit a parishioner in her summer home, and then back on the ferry to drive to Twillingate. Some Newfoundland trivia: "Fogo" is the pronounciation which has evolved from the Portuguese "fuego"....fire. "Twillingate" is the pronounciation which has evolved from the French Basque "Toulinguet". Then there is Moreton's Harbour, and you have the circle...and a mini-history of the settlement of Newfoundland, and how fisheries evolved. Above are two photos from Fogo Island trip - my parishioner and a friend, as we climbed Brimstone Head in Fogo; and a view from the top of Brimstone Head.  In November Humber hosted Ray McGinnis, as guest preacher, and a workshop on writing Psalms. It was also excellent.

This Christmas has been busier than ever, with an incredible round of services and parties and dinners. On Christmas Eve we celebrated with a full church - wonderful to see every seat taken. We had a pageant and communion, the children and youth played instruments, and our two music students performed. It went incredibly well. The plan was to have a Christmas Day service - but a huge snowstorm beat us out. It wasn't worth risking seniors being hurt, so by 8:30, we had decided to cancel. However, I cooked a turkey and by later afternoon was able to move the car and join friends for dinner.

The closing photo for this blog was taken last night, as I drove past the Pepsi Centre Sports complex - the moon was coming up over the hills, and I just had to grab the cell phone camera. Newfoundland is indeed a breathtaking place, and worth every moment of being here.

My New Year's resolution (only one) is to keep up this blog on a more regular basis. Happy New Year, and a great 2013 to all.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment